Saturday, May 16, 2009

Old men and craft fairs

Sunday artisan and antique fairs in Buenos Aires are dear to my heart. Knives, jewelry, rusty old keys, hippie dresses, and belts. You can find anything.

I only have one weakness when it comes to these fairs: little old men. They can sell me anything because they are JUST SO CUTE.


The little old man who sold me this purse wore glasses and had a beard. He sold me on this purse because of the details- all by hand! can be washed! takes him a day to make each purse! I just imagined the poor guy sitting in his house alone (maybe a widower) printing each design with utmost care. So I bought it.

Plaza Francia.
Price: $70 pesos; $20 dollars (more or less)


Another Sunday. Another old man. This one was a million times more adorable because he would throw in little phrases in English, like "mirror, yes?" or "bee-yew-ti-ful." He makes pins of leaves, cats, and owls. The cats and owls looked like they could have been made by a 10 year old. I wasn't sure if this childish design was due to his style or lack of skill. I assumed style and bought an owl pin.

Plaza Belgrano.
Price: $20 pesos; $6 USD more or less



1 comment:

  1. I am in LOVE with that owl pin! So cute!

    ReplyDelete